How are training programmes ranked?
As part of the ST1 radiology application process you will be asked to preference your preferred training location. This occurs after taking the MSRA examination, but before the results of the interview.
You will be asked to rank all the available deaneries in order of preference on the ORIEL application platform. At the same time as ranking the deaneries, you can also indicate whether you would like a placement with an interventional radiology theme or not (if offered by that deanary). You can also view a little additional information for each deanary such as the number of training places at each location. You have the option to choose to exclude yourself from specific locations and you do not have to rank all of them if you do not wish to.
Applying to England, Scotland and Wales
Many doctors choose where to apply based on geographical location. Common issues to consider include:
- Do you want to be where your friends and/or family are based?
- What type of training scheme do you want to be part of – a radiology academy or more traditional scheme?
- Do you want to continue training at the same place you did previously?
Below are links to each Local Education and Training Board (LETB) / Deanery for more information. Click to find out more about the radiology training in each area. Some deaneries cover more than one training scheme (see table below).
Clinical Radiology Training Programmes
|East Midlands||Leicester; Nottingham|
|East of England||Cambridge, Essex, Bedfordshire & Hertfordshire, and Norwich|
|KSS||Kent, Surrey & Sussex|
(Unofficial info for prospective trainees )
|Imperial; Chelsea & Westminster; Northwick Park; Royal Free; St Barts & the Royal London; University College Hospital; Guy’s & St Thomas’; King’s College; St George’s|
|North East||Newcastle upon Tyne; Teeside|
|North West||Manchester; Mersey|
|Scotland East||East Scotland (Dundee)|
|Scotland North||North Scotland (Aberdeen)|
|Scotland South East||South East Scotland (Edinburgh)|
|Scotland West||West Scotland (Glasgow)|
|South West (Severn)||Bristol|
|South West (Peninsula)||Plymouth & Peninsula|
|Wales||South Wales; North Wales|
|Wessex||Portsmouth & Southampton|
|West Midlands||North Staffordshire (Stoke on Trent); West Midlands (Birmingham)|
|Yorkshire and the Humber||Leeds/Bradford; Hull & East Yorkshire; Sheffield|
- Peninsula Radiology Academy (Plymouth)
- Norwich Radiology Academy (Norwich)
- Leeds Bradford Radiology Academy (Leeds)
- National Imaging Academy Wales (Pencoed, Wales)
- Northern Radiology Academy (North East and Cumbria)
Applying to Northern Ireland
- Medical and Dental Recruitment Selection (HEE) http://specialtytraining.hee.nhs.uk
- GMC National Training Survey Results http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/surveys.asp